I understand your confusion …
Buying a wireless router can seem a little tiring, especially if you are a beginner or know little about technology.
But with hundreds of options on the market, how do you choose the best one?
Well, the good news is that … you won’t have to spend days or weeks searching online …
There are people who have already done the hard work for you!
In this article, our experts will show you the 9 best powerful Wi-Fi routers you can buy in 2020.
Read on, to find out the perfect models for your needs and your budget!
What is the best Wi-Fi router?
- What is the best Wi-Fi router?
- 1. AVM FRITZ! Box 7490 – Best ever
- 2. AVM FRITZ! Box 4040 – Best value for money
- 3. TP-Link Archer C60 – Best economic option
- 4. Asus DSL-AC68U AC1900 – The most compatible
- 5. TP-Link TL-MR6400 – Best LTE modem router
- 6. D-Link DIR-882 – Multi-user technology
- 7. TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 – The most functional
- 8. Netgear R6400 – Best app monitoring
- 9. TP-Link Archer VR600 – Excellent versatility
- Factors to consider when buying a Wi-Fi router
- Surf at top speed!
1. AVM FRITZ! Box 7490 – Best ever
Data transfer rate: 450 + 1300 Mbps
We have no doubt, our opinions agree. If you are looking for the best Wi-Fi router ever, this is the product for you. Let’s find out in this review.
AVM FRITZ! Box 7490 is a Wi-Fi modem router designed to be the top of the range in every respect. Its connectivity is excellent, and it is able to provide you with a better experience in everyday Internet use.
Thanks to its compatibility, it is the best Wi-Fi router with modem functionality for both ADSL2 + lines and for VDSL fiber. Thanks to two USB ports, both 3.0, you can take advantage of its Wi-Fi functionality even with 3G / 4G keys. For fixed connectivity, however, just connect the DSL cable, and connect via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
And precisely for the fixed line, the FRITZ! Box 7490 is a fast and powerful modem, with simultaneous dual band AC + N wireless network, at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, with speeds of 450 Mbps and 1300 Mbps respectively. In this way, you will have a better Wi-Fi connection, more powerful and reliable, for all your devices.
Thanks to these features, in fact, FRITZ! Box 7490 is the best Wi-Fi router for activities that require a stable and powerful connection. For example, for online gaming, for streaming movies and TV series in full HD, and much more.
In addition, thanks to the MyFRITZ! Features, you can access your personal cloud wherever you want, after connecting a storage device to the modem router. And to make matters worse, you will have an app for iOS and Android, FRITZ! App Fon, with which you can use your smartphone as a cordless home phone!
In short, a product with all these features, and reviews and opinions on it both stellar, make it undoubtedly the best Wi-Fi router to choose in 2020. You cannot make a better choice!
- Considered by experts as the best modem router for 2020
- Compatible with ADSL2 + lines and VDSL fiber, for Telecom and all other providers
- Excellent connectivity, with simultaneous dual band AC + N at 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
- It works both as a modem and as a simple router, being able to connect a 3G / 4G key
- Perfect for activities like gaming and streaming content online
- Ability to create your own archive in the cloud, for files reachable wherever you are
- Functionality to use your smartphone as a cordless phone
- Exorbitant price
- Complex software interface of the router
2. AVM FRITZ! Box 4040 – Best value for money
Data transfer rate: 860 + 400 Mbps
Do you want to buy the best ADSL router for value for money? Then we recommend this fantastic device.
With AVM FRITZ! Box 4040, you can enjoy the best features of a Wi-Fi router at an appropriate price. For all your home businesses that require a powerful and stable internet connection, you can rely on it 100%.
You can use this FRITZ! Box by connecting it to your home network, through a modem for the ADSL or VDSL (fiber) line of Telecom and other operators, or with radio satellite connections of companies such as Eolo and Open Sky. Whatever your home network is, you will have a perfectly stable connection, without slowing down.
The speed is excellent, thanks to the dual band wireless AC + N, with a 2.4 GHz network of 400 Mbps, and 5 GHz of 860 Mbps. In this way, your connection will be transferred from the router to your devices without loss of speed or speed. stability. Or, if you love wired networking, you can use the 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports on the back.
In order to guarantee you better versatility, the FRITZ! Box 4040 is equipped with a rear USB 3.0 port, and a lateral USB 2.0. Thanks to them, you can connect a modem with connection to 3G / 4G networks, a home printer, or a storage device.
By connecting a hard disk or USB stick, in fact, you can use the router as a NAS, allowing you to access your home cloud via MyFRITZ! Wherever you are. And if you have frequent guests, with the router you can create a network just for them.
Surely you have already experienced various slowdowns during your connection. But with FRITZ! Box 4040, you can rest assured. This Wi-Fi router is able to make the use of wireless band more powerful for gaming and streaming, maximizing speed. So you can be competitive in the first case, and have no buffering problems in the second.
All these features, combined with the price, make this AVM FRITZ! Box 4040 one of the best Wi-Fi routers to buy in 2020. Customer reviews and opinions also praise it, so don’t worry: you won’t regret it.
- One of the best Wi-Fi routers of 2020, thanks to its value for money
- Powerful connection on dual band Wi-Fi AC + N, 400 Mbps and 860 Mbps
- Can be used with modem for ADSL, fiber, or satellite lines
- Excellent connectivity of the Gigabit LAN ports
- Equipped with two really useful USB ports
- NAS function and VPN to connect remotely
- Priority is given to the band used for gaming and video streaming
- If you don’t already have a modem, you will need to make an additional purchase
- Aesthetic aspect not pleasant, and not very robust
Data transfer rate: 450 + 867 Mbps
Maybe some of you would like to buy a good Wi-Fi router without spending too much. How to do? Don’t worry, in this review we will show you the device that’s right for you.
The TP-Link Archer C60 is one of the best Wi-Fi routers thanks to its reduced cost without compromising performance. With this device, in fact, you can take advantage of the power of 5 antennas to make the most of an excellent dual band.
The TP-Link C60 router uses the Wi-Fi AC standard, with which you will have a dual band with 2.4 GHz network at 450 Mbps and 5 GHz at 867 Mbps. In this way, you can connect multiple devices without problems, giving priority of 5 GHz to devices that require a more powerful connection.
As we mentioned before, this excellent Wi-Fi router boasts the presence of five antennas, in order to guarantee you a powerful signal even at good distances. These antennas are directional, and also of excellent size.
Being a simple Wi-Fi router, it is equipped with a WAN port, to be used to connect the TP-Link C60 to your home modem. In this way, you can create a Wi-Fi network for your home, with excellent results. Alternatively, you can use the router to extend your wired network, thanks to the presence of four Ethernet ports.
In addition, this Wi-Fi router offers you parental controls, to monitor the activities of your youngest children on the network, and to create a guest network. Compared to others in the same price range, the TP-Link Archer C60 is certainly the best for us.
- Best cheap wireless router of 2020
- Excellent dual band AC network, from 2.4 GHz to 450 Mbps and 5 GHz to 867 Mbps
- Thanks to the five antennas, wireless coverage is excellent
- Can also be used as an access point, very convenient
- Compatible with all modems, connecting the router via an Ethernet cable
- Parental control and guest network functions
- Unbeatable price
- It does not have a USB port
- The router’s Ethernet ports are not Gigabit
- Not very functional
4. Asus DSL-AC68U AC1900 – The most compatible
Data transfer rate: 1900 Mbps
When thinking about buying a Wi-Fi router, it is good to choose a device that offers excellent compatibility and connectivity. This, in our opinion, is the most compatible you can choose.
The Asus DSL-AC68U AC1900 Wi-Fi modem router has been designed to provide you, in one device, with excellent modem and Wi-Fi router functionality. Starting from the Wi-Fi connection, this modem router offers you a dual band AC, with a 2.4 GHz network at 600 Mbps, and a 5 GHz network capable of reaching 1300 Mbps.
In addition, the compatibility of the router is one of the best, because you can use it with ADSL and VDSL or VDSL2 fiber connections. Thanks to the Asus modem router, you can fully exploit your powerful Internet connection, for all your devices. And for excellent cable connection, you will have 4 Gigabit LAN ports.
Thanks to its power, the Asus Wi-Fi router will allow you to watch high quality streaming content, or try your hand at online gaming, without lag problems. The three large directional antennas will ensure a stable connection between the modem router and your devices.
We told you about high compatibility for another reason. Thanks to the presence of a USB 3.0 port, in fact, this modem router can be used with a dongle for connection to 3G and 4G networks. Or, you can connect a printer to share with your entire network, but also storage devices to share files of various types.
Few Wi-Fi modem routers will guarantee compatibility like the Asus DSL-AC68U. We highly recommend it!
- With excellent compatibility
- Dual Band AC combined that reaches 1900 Mbps
- Excellent Wi-Fi coverage, thanks to three robust antennas
- Equipped with WAN port and four Gigabit LAN ports
- Thanks to USB 3.0, you can connect a stick for 3G / 4G connection
- Possibility to connect a printer or a storage device
- Perfect for uses that require a powerful network, such as gaming and streaming
- Price a bit high
- The vertical position of the router may be uncomfortable for some of you
Data transfer rate: 300 Mbps
If, on the other hand, you do not have a fixed network, and you want to rely on a comfortable 4G network, our advice falls on this modem router.
The TP-Link TL-MR6400 is a device designed to provide you with the speed of the 4G LTE network in the comfort of your home. In this way, you can create a Wi-Fi network thanks to the router, to connect all your devices. Or, you can use the four Ethernet ports on the back.
The use is very simple. Simply insert the SIM into the appropriate slot located on the back of the modem router, and enter the PIN code when you connect. You will immediately have your home LTE network at your disposal!
With this TP-Link modem router, you can take advantage of all the speed of 4G without slowing down, thanks to the N band of 300 Mbps. If your contract with the SIM operator allows you, you can use the connection for streaming in HD without problems and online gaming. You can also download files of various kinds, without slowing down even in the case of multiple connections.
But that is not all. TP-Link TL-MR6400 can also be used as a simple router, connecting it in cascade to an ADSL or fiber modem! Thanks to the LAN / WAN port, in fact, you can connect your modem, and use the router to create the Wi-Fi connection you want. This gives you better versatility than other routers.
So if you want to take advantage of the fast connection of 4G at home, but with a better device than a portable router, our advice certainly falls on this product.
- Excellent modem router for 4G LTE network
- The bandwidth is enough to take advantage of the powerful 4G of your SIM card
- Great for playing online and streaming movies
- Good Wi-Fi signal coverage
- Very comfortable and versatile, especially for places where ADSL lines are not powerful
- Adequate price
- The W-Fi N band is not very fast to connect an ADSL or fiber optic modem
- The Wi-Fi network travels on 2.4 GHz, and not on 5 GHz, which would offer superior reliability
Data transfer rate: 800 + 1733 Mbps
While reading this ranking, you have certainly already read about the MU-MIMO technology, which serves to guarantee a powerful connection even when several users are connected to the router. The router that implements it in the best way is the following.
The D-Link DIR-882 Wi-Fi router is a device designed for those who can no longer do the usual slowdowns, which occur when multiple people use the same network. Thanks to its dual band and MU-MIMO technology, in fact, the router guarantees powerful performance to all connected devices.
First of all, the router’s dual band AC 2600 Mbps allows you to reach very high connection speeds, with a network from 800 Mbps to 2.4 GHz and a network from 1733 Mbps to 5 GHz. Thanks to the WAN port on the back of the router, you can connect your modem to the ADSL or fiber optic line, creating your own wired or Wi-Fi network for the home.
Thanks to the router’s 4 directional Wi-Fi antennas, you can have better focused wireless signals to take full advantage of the available coverage. To connect your devices perfectly, you can use the four Gigabit LAN ports on the back. The router will thus guarantee you stellar performance in online gaming and for streaming video content.
Another very useful feature of the router is the presence of two USB ports, one 2.0 and one 3.0, thanks to which you can connect a printer or a storage device. Thus, thanks to the wireless network of the Wi-Fi router, you can share files between all connected devices.
Finally, with this router you will also have the possibility to create a guest network, and set the parental control to monitor the activities of the little ones. All these features make it an excellent Wi-Fi router for your home, as evidenced by reviews and opinions of the most expert. Recommended!
- Perfect Wi-Fi router to connect multiple users, thanks to the MU-MIMO
- Powerful dual band AC, for an overall speed of 2600 Mbps
- SmartBeam technology, to better target the Wi-Fi signal
- Equipped with a very powerful dual core processor
- The four Gigabit LAN ports are powerful and efficient
- It has two USB ports for connecting printers or storage devices
- Compatible with both ADSL and fiber optic modems
- Despite the 4 antennas, the coverage of the router is not the best
- Unstable firmware
- Poorly functional software interface
Data transfer rate: 1300 + 450 Mbps
If you want to buy a really functional router, then you should read this review. It could be for you!
The TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 router is the device for you, if you are looking for one that is functional to create an excellent home wireless network. By connecting it to your modem, you can use the power of its Wi-Fi to stay connected in every corner of the house.
The dual band AC of this router is excellent, with a speed equal to 450 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz network, and 1300 Mbps in the 5 GHz one. In this way, whatever device you connect wirelessly, you can always have better stability . The three well-made directional antennas will also help you.
To offer you better versatility, the TP-Link router is equipped with 4 Gigabit LAN ports for wired connection of PC, console and more. In addition, thanks to the presence of two USB ports, you can connect a network printer, or a key or hard disk for data sharing. You can then create your own cloud, accessible also remotely via FTP!
The compatibility of the router with many operating systems makes it highly versatile, especially as regards the web interface, from which you can set various preferences. In addition, if you deem it necessary, you can create a guest network, in order to better manage the temporary presence of devices.
All these functions, combined with the affordable price, make it one of the most valid Wi-Fi routers of 2020, giving it a well-deserved place in our top 9.
- Very functional Wi-Fi router
- Excellent dual band AC, with an overall speed of 1750 Mbps
- Compatible with both ADSL and optical fiber
- High quality Gigabit LAN ports
- Presence of two USB ports, to connect printer and storage devices
- Competitive price
- App little functional
- Router configuration is not easy
8. Netgear R6400 – Best app monitoring
Data transfer rate: 450 + 1300 Mbps
If you are used to always leaving the router on, maybe you need a device with an integrated app. This is to ensure better monitoring.
The Netgear R6400 is a router capable of providing you with a good connection speed for all your devices, ensuring stability and efficiency both in wired and wireless mode. Its 1750 Mbps dual band AC will not put limits on your connection, allowing you to play online, and watch streaming movies without delays and loading problems.
The coverage of the router is one of the best, thanks to the three efficient antennas, and the Beamforming + technology. Thanks to the latter, in fact, the Wi-Fi signal strength will be directed more efficiently towards your devices. If you prefer perfect cable stability, instead, you will have 4 really good Gigabit LAN ports.
Another excellent functionality is given by the two USB ports. On the back there is a USB 2.0 port that can be used to connect a network printer. On the front of the Wi-Fi router, however, you will find a USB 3.0 port, through which you can connect a storage device. With these devices, you can print from any connected device, and access shared files.
This Netgear router is one of the few to support the creation of a VPN, to create a network with better security for remote access. And that’s not all. With the Nighthawk smartphone app, you can configure the router and monitor the progress of the connection and connected devices. Many useful features!
- Wi-Fi router efficiently monitored from your smartphone
- Dual band AC of 1750 Mbps overall
- Equipped with four high quality Gigabit LAN ports
- Stable and powerful signal, thanks to Beamforming +
- Possibility to connect printer and memory, through the two USB ports
- You can create a VPN for better secure remote access
- Simple and useful Nighthawk app to use
- The LED lights may be too bright
- Sometimes unstable firmware
Data transfer rate: 300 + 1300 Mbps
Are you looking for a device that acts as both a modem and a router, equipped with various functions that give it a better versatility than many others? So, read the review of this product.
The TP-Link Archer VR600 Wi-Fi modem router is designed to save you money efficiently by providing you with a powerful wireless connection without the need for a second device. You can directly connect the modem router to your home line, whether it is ADSL or fiber, and benefit from its full power.
The dual AC band is able to reach 300 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz network, and 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz network. All the devices connected to the router will not slow down, and you can use them as you prefer. For a stable wired connection, especially for PCs and gaming consoles, you can use the four Gigabit LAN ports on the back.
This modem router is equipped with Beamforming technology, thanks to which you can increase the coverage of Wi-Fi, for above-average performance. This aspect is made even better by the presence of three rather robust and directional antennas.
Instead, the single USB 2.0 port can be used by you to connect a printer or a memory device to the router. You will be able to print from any device connected to the network, and access shared files on the whole home network.
Finally, in addition to the classic web interface, you can also have a convenient smartphone application called Tether. Through it, you will be able to access the router’s network configuration parameters, preferences and much more.
- Versatile Wi-Fi modem router, both for ADSL and fiber optic
- Good wireless network speed
- The four Gigabit LAN ports are efficient
- Beamforming technology and three antennas improve its range
- Possibility to connect a network printer or a stick
- With integrated app for Android and iOS
- Unfortunately, the 5 GHz network is less stable than the 2.4 GHz network
- It has a single USB 2.0 port
Factors to consider when buying a Wi-Fi router
If you have reached this point in the ranking and you are still not sure about the right Wi-Fi router to choose, here are some factors to keep in mind.
Number of bands
The number of bands is an excellent indicator of a router’s performance. Most routers now have dual band AC, which is the best choice for ensuring a quick and efficient connection.
There are, however, some single N-band routers. As a rule, we recommend that you avoid them, unless they are 4G modem routers. This way, you will never limit the connection of your home line.
Networking standards are linked to gang discourse, because they serve to ensure reliable and efficient connection specifications. The most common standard is 802.11ac, used by the dual band Wi-Fi AC. Instead, the 802.11n standard is that of the N band.
Of course you don’t need a technology guru like Aranzulla to tell you: the maximum transmission speed is certainly one of the most important parameters of a router.
An excellent advice is not to buy a Wi-Fi router that limits the speed of your home network, especially if you have optical fiber.
If you want to buy a router, surely you will intend to use Wi-Fi, to connect your devices wirelessly. An important parameter is certainly the range of the Wi-Fi network.
Especially if your house has several floors or is very large, you need to buy a Wi-Fi router that can reach all your devices. Parameters that can help you in this are the number and size of the antennas, but also technologies such as beamforming.
Security, in a home network, is certainly one of the best parameters, in order to be protected from external attacks by attackers. So check that your Wi-Fi router has a better encryption key, such as WPA / PSK.
In addition, for a secure remote access, the ability to create a VPN is very useful.
Other factors to consider
Now let’s see some secondary factors to consider.
- LAN ports
LAN ports are a very useful feature within a Wi-Fi router, and they help ensure better versatility. These allow, in fact, to connect devices such as PCs and gaming consoles via Ethernet cable.
In this way, you will always have a stable connection, and you can use Wi-Fi for devices such as smartphones, tablets and so on.
- Wi-Fi on/off button
The Wi-Fi on / off button is useful for turning off wireless if you don’t need to use it. A similar function, given by the WPS button, allows you to connect a new device to your Wi-Fi router securely, without having to enter the password again.
- USB ports
Finally, USB ports can be a very useful addition to a Wi-Fi router, especially if they are USB 3.0. These will allow you to connect devices such as printers and mass storage devices, to share them with all the devices connected to your home network.
Surf at top speed!
We are confident that you have decided which is the best Wi-Fi router of 2020 for your home. Surfing the internet wirelessly at home is a luxury that we all deserve to have, and with one of these devices you can take advantage of all the advantages. So choose one, and happy surfing!