Don’t have time to go to the barber? Or just don’t feel like it?
It can happen to be traveling for a long time, to be on vacation, or simply not to have a hairdresser that meets your expectations.
At some point, however, you may feel the need to cut your messy hairstyle.
In this article, we will give you some practical advice to be able to fix your unruly hair while staying comfortably at home or wherever you are.
What I suggest you use is, in fact, something very small and that you can always carry with you: the hair clipper.
But don’t worry. If you don’t know how to use the hair clipper, this is the article for you!
- What is a hair clipper?
- Who is the use of the hair clipper suitable for?
- How to choose the most suitable hair clipper for you
- How to choose blades
- Choose the comb
- Maintenance of the hair clipper
- What you need to make your cut
- How to use the hair clipper
What is a hair clipper?
It is a small or medium-sized hair machine that is also very useful for personal use and for amateurs. It is in fact a very handy and simple to use device, not too dangerous like a razor or scissors; for this, it will not be very difficult to learn how to use it best, without running the risk of having unwatchable hair on the head or painful wounds. However, you need to be very careful and proceed slowly and carefully.
Who is the use of the hair clipper suitable for?
This tool is, as we have said, very simple to use, but it is not suitable for everyone. It is not recommended for those with very long hair or for those who do not intend to get a very short shave. For long hair, we often practice a trim at the ends, or we rely on hairdressers to make cuts and styling that cannot be achieved alone. If, on the other hand, you have long hair and you want to cut them very short, a hair clipper is fine too.
How to choose the most suitable hair clipper for you
It is not easy to decide which is the best hair clipper. Hairdressers usually use professional models, but you can choose according to your needs and your budget the one that’s right for you by comparing the characteristics of the various models on the market.
How to choose blades
One of the features to be taken into consideration is the cutting width of the blades. The blades measure from 40 to 45 mm in width and this allows you to cover a larger surface and proceed faster.
1. Shape of the blade
In general, the blades are obviously very sharp; this however may not be suitable for those with sensitive skin or for those who make very short haircuts. For this there are also blades covered with plastic material or with rounded tips.
2. Blade material
The blades can be made with different materials:
- Stainless steel: very resistant and efficient; it is the most widespread and used material;
- Titanium: it is one of the most resistant and light materials and gives a decisive cut;
- Ceramic: it is less resistant to shocks than other materials but gives a precise and delicate cut.
Choose the comb
At this point, having all the accessories ready, you will have to choose the type of comb that is most suitable for the cut you intend to make. Usually, hair clippers have a number of combs to cut to different lengths. The choice of comb, therefore, determines the style of cut that you want to do. Generally, it starts from a minimum of 0.5 mm to reach a maximum of 45 mm.
To give an example: if you wanted to make a shaved cut, military-style, you will need a regulating comb with a measure of less than 3 mm; to have, instead, a classic shave you could use a comb of 10 mm at the sides and 40 mm at the top. If I also wanted to finish it, perhaps a product with a less wide blade would be preferable, perhaps a beard trimmer.
Maintenance of the hair clipper
Remember that proper use of the hair clipper also includes proper care and cleaning of the appliance. To always keep its performance at its best, it is necessary to clean it after each use, oil the blades well, and recharge the battery properly.
What you need to make your cut
First of all, make sure you have all the accessories you need to make the cut. In addition to the hair clipper, you may need:
- A clip for a classic hair machine;
- Spacers to adjust the lengths;
- A comb;
- A pair of barber scissors. These can be especially useful if you have long enough hair in order to facilitate the work of the hair clipper;
- A brush for cleaning the appliance, usually supplied, can allow you to more easily remove the hair left on the blade or in the comb;
- A large mirror, for frontal viewing;
- A smaller, more portable mirror; this will be used later and is used to work and have a better view on the back;
- If you have one at home, you can use a cape to slide the cut hair down; otherwise, any other towel you have available will do.
How to use the hair clipper
In this section of our article we will give you some valuable tips on how to make your favorite hairstyle with the hair clipper. Remember that these are generic tips and that it all depends on the length of the hair and the style you want to achieve.
1. Cut on the sides
Start cutting from the sides of the head:
- You can start with a standard size for the side shave, comb about 3mm, and blade at 8. Try on a small area and, if the length suits you, proceed with these combs.
- You have to start cutting from the ear joint and always orient the machine upwards and never horizontally. This allows you to slowly cut your hair and notice in time if something you don’t like in the cut.
2. Cut at the back
Once you have completed the cut on the side of the head, you will need to tackle the back, which is also the most complicated if you are alone:
- Leave the larger mirror behind you and fixed to the muzzle or on a pedestal;
- Instead, hold the smaller mirror frontally in your hand;
- Change the handle of the machine, holding the opposite side with the palm to the one you usually hold.
After reading our simple article, we believe that you have a clear understanding of how to use the hair clipper and that you have all the prerequisites to create the hairstyle of your dreams comfortably at home! Good shave and good luck!